Thursday, May 15, 2014

Matcha White Chocolate Panna cotta.



 Hello. It's been awhile. I am trying to figure out our Handol online store these days. (You can check my non-finished, but still working online store by clicking "SHOP" on top of this blog;D) Since I am using this e-commerce website that has no design at all and I am self-taught, it is pretty time consuming job to make it look pretty. Can anyone suggest me a nice (and cheap) e-commerce site?
Anyway, I needed some chocolate(YES!!) to fully operate my brain for this CSS, html, and whatever that is.




So I made Matcha white chocolate panna cotta that I inspired by this sakura flan from Japanese restaurant in NYC, called "Sakagura". It is a nice and beautiful restaurant and sake bar hidden in the basement of an office building. They have a nice sake collection and also tapas-style Japanese dishes. I went there with my husband for sake and dessert after a very disappointing dinner at "Sushi Yasuda". It was supposed to be the best sushi restaurant in NYC, but that place was not worth that price and the name. So we went "Sakagura" which is located in front of "Sushi Yasuda" to make up for our dinner night. And that was an excellent choice!!

 We ordered sakura flan and sake called "Seikyo omachi namazake". Since we sat at the bar,  we could see how they prepare desserts and sakes. We couldn't see the full process of foods, but it was pretty impressive that they are really carefully prepare the dishes.



  
I love that our server cut and prepare real flowers in front of us for our sake. 
"Seikyo omachi namazake" is an unpasteurized namazake from Hiroshima. 
It is smooth and rich, and has a crisp finish.






 And this is the sakura flan that I inspired. (Oops, horrible picture..)
It is a seasonal menu and comes with sakura sable.

I was expecting cherry blossom taste-like flan, but I think it was closer to Matcha panna cotta. It was good anyway, but for me flan is more like an eggy puddingy stuff. So I am calling mine panna cotta. 

Recipe is simple, but result is very good. If you like the taste of Matcha, feel free to add more. 





You will need

1 cup half and half
1 cup chopped white chocolate or white chocolate chips
1 1/2 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 tablepoon Matcha powder
1/4 cup water





Directions

1. Bloom gelatin into water for 2~3 minutes
2. Heat half and half until it shimmer and turn off the heat.
3. Melt the chocolate into hot half and half.
4. While melting the chocolate, whisk them and add matcha powder little by little.
5. Once they are well combined, heat them just until shimmer again
6. Add the gelatin in to the mixture and stir until dissolve.
7. Pour them into pretty container that you like.
8. Let it set in refrigerator for couple hours. 







 For me, more Matcha is always better, so I sprinkle some more on top.
I think whipped cream will go very well together as well.


I used Korean authentic tea ware. This is such a practical piece.
It has a beautiful cracks on its glaze all around and creamy white color goes well with any foods.
It is very useful for dessert as well.









As you can see, it is very creamy but holding its shape.
Adding white chocolate was such a good idea. It makes panna cotta taste so rich.
And bitterness of Matcha cuts the rich creaminess of panna cotta, and makes it more enjoyable.  








+
Here the information of Sakagura

Sakagura.com
211 E 43rd Street Basement Level New York, NY 10017

No comments:

Post a Comment