Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Simple Rice Pie.


 
 I had been craving for a good rice cake. It is quite hard to have a good one in US, since I don't live near any Korean market. Even in Korean markets don't really have good rice cakes.

 I tried to make it before, but it was too much work to make it totally authentic. Plus, in Korea, it is easy to find a good quality sweet rice flour, but what I bought in US was tasteless. This poor sweet rice flour had been waiting for me until I found this recipe. It is very easy, and gives a lot of taste in my tasteless sweet rice flour.










You will need

2 cups and 3 tablespoons sweet rice flour  (or 350gram)
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups chopped nuts
1/2 cups raisin (any types of dried fruits) + water (fruit juice or liquor) to re-hydrate dries fruits

2 cups milk

 +

Preheat oven 375℉ / 190℃  





Directions
 
1. Hydrate dried fruits in your liquid (water, fruit juice or liquor)

2. Coat your 10 inches pie or cake pan with oil or butter
(Parchment paper will stick to rice pie, just oil the pan enough!!)






3. Mix all dry ingredients and nuts in a large bowl 
(I used a nuts mix from Costco, cooked ginko nuts, and black sesames)






4. Squeeze liquid out from re-hydrated fruits and mix with 3






5. Mix milk with other ingredients.
(If the flour is very dried, 2 cups is just enough.
However, some flours(especially homemade) are more hydrated.
Watch your batter to do not get too liquidy. Should be like a pancake batter)






6. Pour the batter in to cake or pie pan and bake for 30minutes






7. The  crust should be light golden brown
(I cooked mine 10minutes more for a crunchy crust, but not necessary)







8. Cut the pie once it's cooled



+
2 tablespoons of sugar won't make the pie really sweet, but very nutty!!
Add more sugar, if you like sweet rice cake. For me, sweetness from dried fruits was just enough. 

You can eat them all at once :) or cut and freeze them separately.
Thaw and pop it in microwave for 10 second before you eat. 

I think it could be more authentic, if I put cooked sweet red beans, dates and chestnuts.

It could be a nice vegan snack, if you use water instead of milk.




 What I like the most about this recipe is that the pie is that I don't need to pound the batter and it has this crunchy crust with moist chewy inside. The crunchy crust is kind of like Nu rung ji ; a thin crust of scorched rice usually be left in the bottom of the rice cooking pot.

I like to eat it with milk for my breakfast (full and healthy), or with tea as an afternoon snack.
It goes well with Oolong tea, because of its nuttiness and light sweetness.

I am having it with new wonderful and very fragrant honey oolong, that my parents-in-law recently brought us from Taiwan.

So good











No comments:

Post a Comment