Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Mini Steam Bun Bulgogi Burger. - Reusing Tea Leaves Recipe


 When I am traveling, I like to try each country's or each state's famous fast food. For example, France has "Quick burger", Japan has "Mos burger", Australia has "Hungry Jack's", and New York has "Shake Shack". Sometimes when there are no famous fast food place, Global brands are also good options. Especially McDonald's makes different menu for different countries.



 
http://www.lotteria.com/Data//Goods/68/DetailImage.jpg 

Lotteria's Bulgogi Burger


 In Korea, there has been Lotteria. Especially when I was kid, I could see it everywhere; Many other brands took over Lotteria these days. And one of their famous menu is "Bulgogi burger"; "Bulgogi" is a grilled marinated beef dish that is originated Goguryeo; Ancient Korean kingdom (37 BC – 668 AD). I know McDonald's in Korea also has Bulgogi burger, but that's not an original and honestly very bad. Lotteria's "Bulgogi burger" has been so famous, it was a mandatory menu for kid's birthday party or school events. I honestly didn't really like this burger, just because I don't like sauce on my meat and I had it too much. Still this burger reminds me my childhood.

 I used steamed buns that I made organic whole wheat flour, instead of regular burger buns, because I just feel like that's more Asian and I had bunch of buns from Pecking duck night.
You don't need to bother to make steamed buns. Regular burger buns or store-bought steamed buns are also great.







You will need

- Patties
2 pound ground Beef 
Black pepper
1/4 large white onion
1/2 scallion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons green tea leaves (Helps remove bad smell from meat)
1 tablespoon potato starch 
1/2 cup sliced rice cake (optional)

- Steamed buns

- Cheese, Tomatoes, Mayonaise
-10 tablespoon Bulgogi sauce 

+ Simple version
4 tablespoons soysauce
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cooking wine 
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
Black pepper

+ Always good sauce version  






Directions




Before making patties, soak sliced rice cake in water






1. Mix all patties ingredients with food processor or chop and mix them in a bowl.
   (I normally don't buy ground beef, 
so I roughly chopped the ingredients and blend with food processor.)






2. Chop soaked rice cake in whatever size you want. 







3. Mix starch powder, ground beef and 7 tablespoons of bulgogi sauce. Knead it as you make bread. 
  (I forgot my green tea leaves, so I put them later. )






4. Form your burger. (I push a half slice of rice cake in the middle of patties. If you don't put rice cakes, make a deep depression in the center with your thum)


5. Wait at least an hour to marinate the meat.
 

6. Start steaming the buns.


7. Heat a pan with a bit of oil. Once it shimmer, put patties. 3 minutes one side and flip them. 


8. Pour around one teaspoon of bulgogi sauce on top and cook for 4 minutes. 
Flip one more time to make sure the patties are covered with the sauce. 


9. Feel free to create your burger. (The original bulgogi burger has lettuce, mayo, and patty)








I recommend to put mayo. Bulgogi sauce and mayo make an interesting combination.
I actually made three sliders, but sneaky bad boy ate one.








This one. (Yes, I'm in trouble.)









I like milkshake with my burger instead of coke.
So I made green tea latte instead.




+
More about green tea latte






 

I also like to eat them as they are. (With a bit of chopped pine nuts)













 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment