Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Cocoa Cake and Marco Polo.



 I confess that I baked a cocoa cake in the middle of yesterday night and ate quarter of it before I go to sleep. I was very guilty, but satisfying at the same time. 





Every year, around this season, I think I become a bit nostalgic. Yesterday, for some reason, I was remembering the time when I used to live in Paris. I lived there for a bit when I was kid and before I came to US. I guess both times were one of the happiest moments of my life, not only because of the city, but also because I was innocent.
Ok. I think the post is getting too emotional. haha.




Anyway, my mom used to bake this cocoa cake on my birthday when I was kid. For some reason, that cake had unique aroma, and I have been missing it so much. (But my mom doesn't bake cakes anymore. Instead she asks for me to bake them.) That's why I baked the cake in the middle of the night. Of course, it wasn't same, but I was okay to have a happy time.

I don't have my mom's recipe, so I picked the one that seems similar. I normally adjust the recipe for my blog, but for this, I did what is written. So here's the link

+








I didn't make butter cream, because I hate it. I had a caramel sauce that I made before.
If you do not want any cream or sauce, I think this recipe will be better with chocolate chips or some chocolate pieces in it. Even better with orange zests.











And I had afternoon tea time with "Marco Polo" by "Mariage Frères". "Mariage Frères" is also an element that reminds me Paris, and "Marco Polo" is one of its best selling items. Now I prefer Asian teas, but I used to love to drink this tea when I was in Paris.

Mariage Frères’ overwhelming success is a mysterious blend that will take you to distant lands and unforeseen territories. Fragrances of Chinese and Tibetan flowers lend it a uniquely velvety taste. Its extraordinary bouquet makes Marco Polo the most legendary of flavoured teas. - "Mariage Frères"

 This is what they describes about "Marco Polo". I think it is very fragrant, flowery, and sensual. 
I think you can get it at Dean & Deluca.












 And also, I am planning to serve the tea at Handol tearoom for fun. It's gonna be only non-Asian tea, other than Tahitian tea.











 By the way, after I finished them, I realized that aroma of the cake was probably from vanilla sugar and cocoa powder that my mom used to bought from French grocery store. So I need to wait until I can visit Paris again to taste my mom's cocos cake.   





No comments:

Post a Comment