Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Croquette or Goroke.



 I made one of my favorite snack that my mom made when I was kid, "Croquette" or "Goroke"(This version sounds more familiar for me). Even though I loved it so much, I couldn't taste it often, because she doesn't like deep frying. Croquette is a western food, but from my experience, it is more popular in Korea and Japan. Croquettes can be found in most of bakeries in Korea and Japan, and there are even many stores just making croquettes. Korean versions are normally stuffed with Japche(clear noodle made out of sweet potato with veggies) or mainly potato, veggies and a bit of ground beef with sweet yellow curry sauce. Japanese basic version is stuffed with potato, vegetables and beef or pork, but my favorite is the one stuffed with sweet white sauce and crab meat.
Korean version uses yest bread dough to cover the stuffs, and then breaded. But my mom only breaded the stuff like homemade European version. It is definitely simpler and less calories. :)




You will need 

1 caned tuna (or grounded cooked beef)
3 tablespoons chopped carrots
3 tablespoons chopped celeries
3 tablespoons chopped red peppers
2 cups mashed potatoes
1 tablespoon mayonese
2 eggs
4 mini baby bell cheese (other types of cheeses are fine)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Dried bread crumbs (I mixed panko and one piece of pumpernickel)
Canola oil or peanut oil (enough to fill pan 1/2")
Cookie cutter (any shapes of mold you want)





Directions



1. Chop vegetables and mix with tuna.
(varieties of vegetables make your food pretty and it is good to eat your leftover in your refrigerator:D)





2. Mix 1 with mashed potatoes(salted), one egg and mayo.
(I didn't smash too hard, because I used Onigiri mold that I can press it in.)





3. Use cling wrap for the mold(not necessary)
Fill half of the mold the potato mix(My onigiri mold can be filled with around 6 tablespoons, so 3 tablespoons first), 
and put a piece of cheese(half of mini baby bell) in the middle. 








 4. Cover the cheese with the rest, press it well, and dust it with flour.









5. Dip in the beaten egg.







6. Roll through bread crumbs.




7. Fry each croquette in shallow oil until brown on all sides.










Ta-da!

The color is a lot darker, because I used pumpernickel as bread crumbs. They should be golden brown with regular bread crumbs.








Ooey goey melted cheese inside.





 
I like my Goroke with mayo.
(My husband prefers ketchup)












 


With Mogwa(Quince) ade!!


+

















No comments:

Post a Comment